Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Grouping



Fitting more than just two people on a sketch is often very fun. Especially when you have a great group of friends or family who want to get drawn all funny looking. It helps exaggeration by making you want to show all the differences in each face at the same time, while you're also thinking about composition and visual weight of the drawing. I don't enjoy seeing the same old "cookie cutter" sketches all bunched in on a page, that's pretty boring.
To prevent this, sometimes I'll seat each person one at a time and only do a quick sketch of them just with one my colors real lightly, making sure I go from my gut instinct on an exaggeration. Then, I'll go ahead with the marker seating each one again, making sure I go for what I origanlly intended on the first glance. I'm sure many other artists use this type of method or something similar...I find it to be someting very difficult to perfect.

2 comments:

chris chUa! said...

those are both awesome as are all your caricatures. I especially like that 2nd one, one of my favs of yours. I'm still struggling with group shots, trying to figure out ways to do it so the overall composition looks good. maybe I should try doing a lil bit of pre-sketching just so my layout isn't too crap. very cool to hear how you do things, I find it very informative.

you're going to Florida for the winter to draw, right? hope to see more from you. I anxiously wait for your updates :)

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing with everyone. I know everything about you. It's great and it's great.
ดูแลสุขภาพ